Thursday, February 9, 2012

REVIEW: Ten Things I Love About You

Title: Ten Things I Love About You
Author: Julia Quinn
Series: The Bevelstoke Series
Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: Avon Books
Format: Paperback
# of pages: 375
Source: Library
Challenge: 2012 Julia Quinn Challenge
Summary:
(from back of book)

Ten Things You Should Know About This Book

1. Sebastian Grey is a devilishly handsome rogue with a secret.

2. Annabel Winslow's family voted her The Winslow Most Likely to Speak Her Mind and The Winslow Most Likely to Fall Asleep in Church.

3. Sebastian's uncle is the Earl of Newbury, and if he dies without siring an heir, Sebastian inherits everything.

4. Lord Newbury detests Sebastian and will stop at nothing to prevent this from happening.

5. Lord Newbury has decided that Annabel is the answer to all of his problems.

6. Annabel does not want to marry Lord Newbury, especially when she finds out he once romanced her grandmother.

7 is shocking, 8 is delicious, and 9 is downright wicked, all of which lead the way to

10. Happily. Ever. After. 
Review:
Ten Things I Love About You starts off with Lord of Newbury eyeing our heroine, Annabel Winslow, as his new bride. Of course, Annabel doesn't want to be...and who would? Lord Newbury is old and fat and not at all handsome. But she must! Because it's her duty...and though she doesn't like it, she's almost certain she will end up marrying him, for the sake of her siblings. But then, she meets Sebastian Grey, our very likable hero. He is a big contrast to the fat, ugly Lord Newbury, and Annabel is certain to fall in love with him. And so the story goes. Throw in a little secret and some meddling side characters, and you've got this novel!

The characters were likable enough, though I wasn't as engaged in this love story as I usually am with Quinn's other characters. I didn't connect with them, I guess. I was interested in Lady Louisa's story more so than the main characters', and do hope that Julia Quinn decides to write a novel for her as well as Edward. The plot was so-so...the twist was not much of a twist, after all.  Also, I find Sebastian's secret quite interesting, but I'm surprised no one has ever guessed it...

As you can probably tell, this is not my favorite Julia Quinn novel by any means. I actually couldn't really get into the story until about halfway in, and then I felt like I couldn't put it down. But still, it was enjoyable to read and several times while reading, I found my lips quirking up into a smile as I laughed to myself.  I would definitely recommend this. It is a feel good novel with a happy ending, and I love reading those! Plus, Julia Quinn is one of my favorite authors. :)

Rating:
Plot - ★★★
Characters - ★★★★
Ending - ★★★★★
Overall - ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...